CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Taking Care of Your Beans & Grains

Hi there, ladies--

Aunt Robyn talked in her class about how grains need to be properly treated before consuming them. I found this very helpful article on the subject that I REALLY liked. Maybe you will, too. I remember that Robyn taught, "Fresh is best, fermented is next." The article talks about how important it is to ferment your beans and grains. Below is a list of directions to do so. I have done them with the raw apple cider vinegar and found no noticable difference in the taste. Let me know what you think. I know this is a controversial topic--wether it is necessary to do so or not.

ARTICLE:
http://www.westonaprice.org/foodfeatures/be_kind.html

DIRECTIONS for FERMENTING BEANS/GRAINS:

FOR WHOLE GRAINS: For millet, brown rice, oatmeal, amaranth, etc. soakdesired amount of grain in an equal amount ofwater to which you've added 1 tbsp. raw vinegar, fresh lemon juice, or plainyogurt. ( use 2-3 tbsp. if your cooking a large amount of grain)Cover and let sit at room temperature for at least 7 hours, preferablylonger. When ready to cook, add remaining required amount of water or stockand cook. NOTE: To soak whole-grain flours or pancake mixes, follow thesame procedure as above, but make sure the flour is mixed well with thesoaking water.FOR

RAW BEANS AND LENTILS: Soak desired amount of beans in an equal amountof water to whichyou've added 1 tbsp raw vinegar, fresh lemon juice, or plain yogurt. ( Use2-3 tbsp if your cooking a large amount of beans or lentils) Cover and letsit at room temperature for at least 7 hours, preferably longer. When readyto cook, discard soaking water; add remaining required amount of water orstock and cook.

FOR RAW NUTS AND SEEDS: Place raw nuts or seeds in a bowl, add 1 tbsp seasalt and cover with water. Leave at room temperature for 6-8 hours. Drainthe water. Place the nuts on a cookie sheet, and dry on low heat in theoven. You can also air dry the nuts on a towel, but it takes much longer todry them this way.

SPROUTED ALMONDS: Sprouted almonds are much more digestible than untreatedones. Rinse 3 times per day. Ready in 3 days. Sprout is merely a tinywhite appendage, about 1/8 inch long.

BREAKFAST PORRIDGE:1 cup oats, steel cut, or rolled, or coarsely ground in your own grinder.1 cup of water plus 2 tbsp. fermented whey, yogurt, or buttermilk. ( I dont see why you could not use kefir)1/2 tsp. celtic sea salt1 cup water1 tbsp flaxseeds (optional)For highest benefits and best assimilation, porridge should be soakedovernight or even longer. (ancient recipes from Wales and Brittany calledfor a 24 hoursoaking ) Once soaked, oatmeal cooks up in less than 5 minutes-----truly afast food.Mix oats and salt with water mixture; cover and let stand at roomtemperature for at least 7 hours and as long as 24 hours. Bring additional1 cup of water to boil. Add soaked oats. Reduce heat, cover, and simmerseveral minutes.Meanwhile, grind flaxseeds in a mini grinder. Off heat, stir in flaxseedsand let stand for a few minutes. Serve with butter or cream thinned with alittle water( I use kefir here ) and a natural sweetener of your choice.

EASY BROWN RICE: 2 cups brown rice4 cups water of 2 cups of water mixed with 2 cups stock1 tbsp apple cider vinegar or yogurtSoak rice in 2 cups of water with the vinegar or yogurt for at least 7 hours Transfer to your pot or rice cooker. Add theremaining water or water/broth, and cook till tender. If your cooking therice on a stovetop, bring to a boil then lower heat to a simmer and cookcovered, stirring occasionally. Serves 6-8. This recipe can be used forany whole grain you wish to serve by itself.

All of these recipes for fermented grains, etc. are from The Makers Diet.

Jackie


(I took these instructions from this website:
http://archive.kefirtanesi.com/how-to-ferment-grains-whole-grains-beans-and-lentils--yazi51353.html)

4 comments:

Jane Durham said...

thanks kirst! i've been wondering about this...I'm so sad I missed that part of Aunt Robyn's lesson.

jim said...

did i read it right that treating the wheat is needed for things like cereals but if you are just grinding it up for fresh flower to make bread using the super awesome sourdough starter then you are okay? Frankly I didn't know you could do anything with wheat besides just grind it up for flour. Sounds like we need to learn a few more good uses for it.

jim said...

uh - did I write flower. sheesh. I do in fact know the difference between flower and flour. really. i promise i do.

Kirstin said...

Yes. :) Using a correct "starter" when making your bread prepares it properly. At least that is what I understand. Robyn taught us that the yeast we buy in the store doesn't cut it. Right? The article says the same.